Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month!
To help get in the spirit of Fresh Fruit and Veggie month here’s a riddle….
Why did the mushroom get invited to all the parties? (scroll down to see the answer!)
Fruits & Vegetables are Important because….
- Contain many of the nutrients our body needs to develop, rebuild, and stay strong.
- Reduce the risk of chronic diseases (heart attack, heart disease, stroke, cancer, the list goes on… 🙂
- Low in fat, sugar, and calories! Eating Fruit/Veggies instead of processed and high caloric foods will help you achieve and KEEP a healthy weight.
The dietary guidelines are recommendations of how much and what kind of food individuals should be eating on a daily basis. These guidelines are set by the U.S Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services.
Recommended Amount (per day):
4-5 servings of Fruit
4-5 servings of Vegetables
So, you may be concerned that’s a lot of food, but a serving is a lot less than you think!
What is a serving?
1 cup raw leafy vegetables [about the size of a small fist]
1/2 cup raw or cooked of any other vegetable
1/2 cup (8 fluid ounces) fruit juice
1 medium fruit (size of a baseball)
1/2 cup chopped or cooked or canned fruit
1/2 (8 fluid ounces) cup juice
Buying fruits and vegetables can be expensive! Here are tips for saving money when eating healthy!
STEP 1: PLANNING
- Make a list to avoid spending money on unnecessary items.
- Buy Frozen, Canned, Dried, and Fresh Forms of Fruits and Vegetables on your list. They are all nutritious and great for your body!
STEP 2: SHOPPING
- Buy In Season. Those in season are typically less expensive. What’s in Season?
- Canned/Frozen/Fresh are all good great Fruit and vegetable varieties.
- Buy More. When there are specials on fruits and vegetables, buy extra. Freeze anything you won’t use right away. Don’t Buy It If You Won’t Use It!
- Don’t Shop When you’re Hungry. You will spend more $!
- Shop for Sales: The larger size is not always the best price!
- Limit Or Avoid Expensive Snack Foods, Desserts and Soft Drinks that provide little or no nutrition value for your money.
- If you don’t have unhealthy foods in your house, you can’t eat them!
When buying ANY juice. Always remember:
1. Must be 100% juice in order to be made completely from the fruit/vegetable
Riddle answer: Because he was a fun-gi to be with! HA HA
Save $ by properly storing your fruits and vegetables. They will stay fresher-longer meaning you will save money!
Click to find out how->How to Store Fruits and Vegetables